Friday, October 28, 2005

there was abuse in my family, but it was mostly musical in nature.

When I woke up this morning, I was in a room with no fewer than 25 paintings, all framed, and all PAINT BY NUMBERS. A dream, says you?

Just a night drinking with the girls, says I.

So, here was the original plan: At around 8, we would all head down to Gramercy to Andrea’s and Tim’s apartment. Tim is out of town and said she could “have friends over.” Thanks, Dad! So we rented a movie, got three bottles of wine, and settled in. I would say that for the first hour, all was normal. We watched the movie, ate great pizza, made fun of people we work with.

Then we reached that all important point at which we were all sufficiently drunk. It’s then that the leather bustier and the blonde wig came out.

You see, Andrea and AMC are going to dress up as the 80’s band Heart for Halloween. They decided to give us a little preview of their karaoke performance, which quickly disintegrated into the dance party which always seems to happen when we girls get together and wine is involved. So yes, Catherine and I joined in, but not before taking tons of pictures which are sure to keep any of us from holding public office in the future.

Shortly after that, we were told that it was time for salsa lessons. Andrea takes salsa lessons every week and gave us an impromptu lesson right there in the living room. I discovered that my ability to Irish step dance helped me learn salsa and I think if I were to take lessons, I’d pick it up pretty quickly. It was a blast.

Then, at 2:30am, after leaving the living room a wasteland of empty wine bottles and Hershey’s wrappers, we went to bed. AMC and I slept in Tim’s room. Tim has THE most comfortable bed in the whole wide world, and a very interesting decorating style. He collects paint-by-numbers paintings, frames them, and hangs them on his wall. That brings us to this morning when I woke up in his room surrounded by impeccably painted winter scenes, deer in the woods, sad clowns, and three different paint-by-numbers Jesuses. It was fabulous.
Not surprisingly, I am hungover, so don’t talk too loud, okay?
Thanks.