Thursday, September 01, 2005

Frightening.

Some tragedies bring out the best in human nature, and some bring out the worst. Unfortunately, it looks like this one is the latter.

I’m getting a sadly familiar feeling in my stomach. For at least a few days after 9/11, I had this strange numb feeling and my mind had a very hard time wrapping itself around the tragedy that had occurred. I’m getting that feeling again about what’s going on with Katrina right now. To read the reports and see the news coverage, I can’t even imagine what it must be like down there right now. The idea that some officials were attempting to defy the Constitution of the United States and declare Marshal Law is what really drove it home for me. It’s not because I think that they shouldn’t, it’s just that the situation has indeed reached a critical point when law enforcement suggests the idea of Marshall Law as a viable solution to the problem.

My coworker has friends in New Orleans who just were evacuated today and wrote her an email from Baton Rouge. They said that the situation in the Superdome is worse than people think…that there have been reports of rapes and people getting shot in the head. They also say that the looting and lawlessness are reaching a point where large gangs of men are walking through neighborhoods in broad daylight, casing houses by simply looking in the windows while the people are inside looking back. They then are coming back at night and robbing those houses. Who is going to stop them? These friends of hers also said that they guess that if the National Guard doesn’t show up en masse by this evening, the violence will reach new heights as those robberies continue.