Monday, August 29, 2005

Movin' Out

Oh my goodness, my first lag in posting. Sorry all.

This past week has been more than a bit crazy, as I’ve been in the process of moving. For most people, moving involves one hectic day of sore muscles and broken lamps. For me, the process will take 1 full week, and involve the help of several friends. Ok, maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but it has been absolutely crazy. Last Monday night, I went to my temporary home in Brooklyn to scrub the kitchen with my temporary roommate Rene. I knew I would be moving out soon, but the fruit fly problem had gotten completely out of control and we couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I hadn’t cooked or used that kitchen in over two weeks, and from all outward appearances, it seemed pretty clean. Well, I cleaned that kitchen till it was spotless. The next evening, when I got home, the fruit flies were worse! That was it for me. At that moment, I began making the plans to get me and my shit out of that apartment as soon as possible. I had been sleeping on a small couch in the living room, which was now swarming with flies, and it was just too much. Thank goodness for Lisa, who came on Thursday with her Toyota, into which I put my entire life. It’s good to know that my entire life can fit into a Camry. Anyway, we brought it to my new place in Williamsburg, where it currently sits. I don’t have a key yet. I’ve been staying at Danny’s since then, and as nice as it is staying with him, I can’t WAIT to have a room of my own again. Two days from now, this dream will come true. I will get my keys, and Jon and Co. will move my new furniture in, and I will be a comfortable, cool, ramen-eating fool. This is officially the most expensive week of my life. I must write a check for $1500 tomorrow for rent and security deposit. It will hurt.

So, this weekend was a blasty-blast. We went with Jeff and Page to see “Muppets Take Manhattan” on Friday night in Central Park. It was fun! A trip to Coldstone and one cup of Copa Cabana Banana later, we were all back at home, sleeping like babies. Danny and I got up early Saturday morning to get in line for Shakespeare in the Park tickets. We got there at 9am, thinking that we’d be one of the first in line for tickets which went on sale at 1pm. We almost didn’t get tickets. There were THOUSANDS of people in line. Ridiculous. But it was cool, we made friends with some older ladies in line, and we all hung out and played cards and we told them the story of how Danny and I met, and they all went, “Awwww.” Anyway, we got our tickets at 1pm, ran a bunch of errands, then saw Two Gentlemen of Verona, the disco version. Yeah, you heard me…disco. I was expecting straight Shakespeare. I got Saturday Night Fever. It was still good, and starred the beautiful Rosario Dawson, but it just wasn’t what I expected.

What followed can only be described as the affirmation that I simply can’t drink like I used to. Several beers and several shots into the evening, I knew it wasn’t going to be fun waking up the next morning. I was right. I spent most of Sunday sitting in bed, dozing, and wishing the nausea would just go away. Finally, I started to feel better.

Sunday night, Drew and Theresa had a wine and cheese party at their new place. It’s a studio on the Upper East Side, and maybe it was because I had low expectations, but the place was very nice! Not very big obviously, but they made the best of the space they had. It was a great way to wind down the weekend.

Just when I thought I couldn’t possibly read any more than I do already, I joined a little book club. Kristi and some of her friends are having the first meeting in October, and we’re reading “The Secret Life of Bees.” I’ve heard it’s great, and It’ll be fun to meet new people.

Phew!

So, that catches me up to right now. I can’t seem to get much work done because I’m fascinated and worried about the people in Louisiana and Mississippi right now. Hurricane Katrina is kicking their asses pretty hard, and people are apparently making cell phone calls to the police from their roofs asking to be rescued. One does have to ask though…why the hell didn’t you get out of town!?

I’m getting my hair cut tonight at a salon. No, I’m not talking the salon La Hair Cutterie. I mean a real salon. I got a really great deal. Maybe I’ll end up looking glamorous. Maybe I’ll end up looking like me with shorter hair. Who knows?

Stay tuned.

COUNTDOWN TO THE BEACH: 4 days.