Monday, July 18, 2005

Life at 16 Grimauld Place, London

It occurred to me today that you can learn a lot about someone you've never met by living in his room for two months. For instance, I was given free reign by a relative stranger (my "landlord") to raid and listen to his CD collection while I'm living here. As I was digging through the copious amount of jazz and little-known bands, I came across several CDs, all of which were scratched so badly there's no way they'd play on a CD player. They included Sting, Stevie Wonder, the soundtrack to Purple Rain, and Bob Marley. Not at all bad first bands, and I'm sure there is a correlation between the existence of these CDs and the great taste in music this guy seems to have. I'm currently listening to Mr. Miles Davis, thoroughly enjoying it, and thinking it's time Danny and I wandered back over to the Iridium Jazz Club in (gasp!) Times Square, and catch another show. Jazz is great stuff. Especially late at night, as it is right now. Yes, it is my first New York bout of insomnia. I didn't sleep a wink last night, due to a bad headache and a loud beeping sound out on 4th Avenue that went on ALL NIGHT LONG.

Beep! Beep! Beep! (blissful pause) Beep! Beep! Beep!

So here I am, and by all rights I should be barely able to keep my eyes open, but instead I'm listening to the jazz collection of my subletter and counting the bars on my window. Did I mention I have bars on my window? Yes, I do.

On a very positive note, I have finished "HP6" as all the kiddies are calling it (and more than a few adults...I was at the release party in Union Square at midnight on Friday. I saw more drag queens there than at a regular night at Velvet...white parties excluded of course).

My roommate and I sat around and drank some beer tonight, a favorite pasttime of mine since (a) I discovered I have no money, and (b) Rheingold beer is MAD CHEAP at the little grocery next door.

And now, back to Miles and staring at the bars. I would tell you about my exciting Broadway experience that included miss Marsha Mason and Miss Delta Burke, but I'm trying to erase it from my memory...

Oh and also, Coldstone rocks my socks. It just does.

Thank you and goodnight.