Saturday, July 09, 2005

Real World: New York City

Alright, this is my first post in New York City. I'm writing this on an antiquated iMac bought by the tenants for $50, sitting on one of those round seats drummers sit on behind their drum sets. I am just now starting to settle in a bit, and mentally preparing myself for my first day of work on Monday.

The drive up was uneventful. We didn't get lost once, we made excellent time, and found a rock star parking spot right outside my apartment for Lindsay. We spent Thursday evening unpacking my shit (mentioned in previous entries).

The apartment is pretty nice. There's a decent sized kitchen (though with no microwave or toaster, I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do for food), and my room is big enough. One problem has arisen though, which I am not very happy about. The central air conditioning broke last week apparently, and the landlords installed window AC units in all the rooms EXCEPT MINE. Turns out, it's against NYC fire code to have a window unit installed in a window which goes out to a fire escape, so it looks like I'm SOL and sleeping with a fan for the two hottest months of the summer. Yippee.

Other than that, yesterday was spent walking around the city in the pouring rain. Lindsay and I spent a good while at Strand Books (one of my absolute favorite places in the whole city), and then made a wonderful dinner of bruschetta and Artichoke and Leek soup. It was amazing and cheap!

Around 8:30, I met the second of my two roommates. Here's the rundown: Roommate 1: From upstate New York, and before that, Japan. She is such a sweetheart and seems like she is very laid back. Roommate 2: A very cool chick from Texas. We ended up all hanging out and drinking last night. We checked out some of the cool bars in the area, and let me tell you, THERE ARE SOME COOL BARS IN THIS AREA. This place we went to last night was called the Tea Lounge, and there was some very cool music and pretty cheap drinks. I hope to return there soon. All in all, I think my roommates and I will work out very well, and possibly stay friends even once we all go our separate ways.

This morning, we went to Target. Now, let me take a minute here to explain that in New York City, there is essentially one Target which serves ALL OF NEW YORK CITY, and it is located a block and a half from my front door. Also in this same location is a Marshalls, a DSW, and a PathMark (grocery store, but better and cheaper than Giant or Safeway...crappy produce, but people don't buy produce there, they buy produce at the open air markets ACROSS THE STREET from me). Also, there is a hardware store, a Bath and Body Works, an electronics store, and pretty much anything my little heart desires or may ever desire. Unfortunately, I won't have the money to go shopping at any of these places (except for Target) in the near future.

So anyway, we went to Target to get the essentials. Then back here, where Lindsay and I packed up our backpacks and headed to the Prospect Park Botannical Gardens. HOLY CRAP it's beautiful there. A 15 minute walk from my house is every tree, plant, and flower you could imagine, along with a big pond, and waterfalls. If you come to visit me (whoever you are), you must make me take you there. We took lots of pictures. We spent most of today there. Oh, and for the 3rd time in as many months, I ran into someone I know from Virginia on the streets of New York. As Lindsay and I were walking toward Prospect Park, this girl with spikey, bleach blonde hair slowed down on her bike going the other way. It was this girl Barb from high school band, and little sister of one of my best friends! We exchanged numbers and will probably hang out soon. Amazing.

It's now 3pm, and my ex-coworker Michael is in town and we're going to hang out for a bit. Tonight is free keg night on the Upper East Side to celebrate Danny and Nick's birthday, and I'm sure lots of silly drunkenness will ensue.

I'm off to make Danny a cake. Shhhh, don't tell him, ok?

Seacrest OUT! (what a tool)